Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Department of Design
Master of Design Program (M.Des),
Amongst the premier technical institutions in the country, the Department of Design, IIT Guwahati has commenced its two year post graduate Master of Design (M.Des.) program from the academic year 2007- 2008.
IIT Guwahati now offers Design programs at all three educational levels:
• 4 year Bachelor of Design program leading to B.Des. degree
• 2 year Master of Design program leading to M.Des. degree and
• Doctoral studies in Design leading to Ph.D.
The programs encourage inter-disciplinary and intra-disciplinary studies that integrate holistic perspectives in creative pursuits engaging design and technology as applicable to the following thrust areas viz. New Product Design and Development; Communication Design and New Media; Usability Engineering and Interaction Design including HCI; and Ergonomics. The B.Des undergraduate program, offers courses in design and technology that enhance conceptual level skill sets and understanding of principles of aesthetics technology, ergonomics, utility and function to evolve ‘human-centric’ design solutions as applicable to Product Design and Communication Design.
The 2 year Master in Design (M.Des. - Design) program offers students advanced elective based studies in the above fields, encouraging more real life projects involving intensive research work. The student can choose from a range of courses including Design core/Technology/Electives/Projects in the field of their interest. Presently the courses cover the domain of Product Design and Development, Design Semantics, Usability Engineering, Interaction Design, Experiential Design, Environmental Design, Human-Computer Interaction Design, Ergonomics, studies in Occupational Hazard and Safety, and Design Management, New Media, Communication Design and Film, etc.
The students are encouraged to undertake projects involving intensive analysis and synthesis in the form of conceptual design, simulation and making functional prototype.
Institute Teaching Assistantship
For the M.Des. Program, assistantships are provided to regular students (Indian nationals) at the rate of Rs.8000 per month as per terms and conditions of the Institute.
Terms & Conditions:
Selected regular candidates will get Institute Assistantship subject to the conditions prescribed by the regulations which include:
(i) A student must have a valid CEED score at the time of admission (or B. Des. / B.Arch. / B. Tech. degree from an IIT with CPI 7.0 or above).
(ii) Students receiving assistantship from the Institute or from any other funding agencies will be required to perform academic duties assigned to them by the department as per rules in force from time to time.
(iii) The continuation of the assistantship/fellowship will be subject to satisfactory Performance of the duties assigned by the department and satisfactory progress in the postgraduate program.
(iv) Financial assistance will be for a period of two years.
Studios and Laboratories for Design research
Well-established workshop and laboratories have been set up in the Department of Design to support research and development activities in the above fields. Some of the advanced facilities for design research and development include:
• Rapid Prototyping machine
• Eye tracking device for usability testing
• Product Photography lab
• Cane and bamboo processing machinery
• Ergonomics lab for studies and application in design and occupational wellbeing involving various human factors
• Advance computing facilities for CAID and CAD
• Animation, Graphic and Digital Art studio
• Macintosh Studio with Non-linear Video Editing
• Workshop with facilities for wood/metal/plastics/clay working
Supporting infrastructure includes Conference Room and Presentation rooms with facilities for audio-visual presentations.
The faculty members are presently engaged in Design research in the following thrust areas:
• New product design and development
• Visual Studies in Communication Design
• Information Design
• Design and Culture
• Drawing and Digital Art
• Advanced Manufacturing
• Ergonomic research in product design and communication design studies
• Usability Engineering and Testing
• Studies in Human Computer Interaction
Eligibility for Regular M.Des. Candidates
a) 4-year Bachelors’ degree or equivalent in Design, Engineering, Architecture, Interior Design or a Design related field OR
4-year Professional Diploma in Design of NID or Professional Diploma of CEPT (5-year programme)
b) A minimum of 55% marks or equivalent grades in the qualifying degree/diploma.
All candidates (except those having Batch/B.Des degrees from an IIT with a minimum CPI of 7.0) must possess a valid score of Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED).
1. All candidates applying for the MDes program in Design must possess a valid CEED score.All India Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED).
2. Final selection for admission to the MDes program is based on the CEED score and on performance in a creative interactive session and personal interview to be conducted at the Department of Design in May/June. Candidates are encouraged to present a portfolio of their earlier work.
For further information
E-mail (for Enquiries)
Department of Design
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati -781039
Phone (for Enquiries)
Design Office - (0361) 2582500
Head of Department- (0361) 2582451
Last updated: 15th January 2015